guest houses great yarmouth
guest houses great yarmouth, bed, breakfast, great yarmouth, norfolk broads, east coast, holiday, accommodation, acommodation, accomodation, acomodation, guest house, family, holiday, short breaks, vacation
Great Yarmouth suffered from bombing during World War II, but much is left of the old town, including the original over 2000 metre long protective mediaeval wall, of which about two-thirds has survived. Of the 18 towers, 11 are left. On the South Quay, there is a 17th century Merchant's House, as well as Tudor, Georgian and Victorian buildings. Behind South Quay, there is a maze of alleys and lanes known as "The Rows". Originally there were 145 rows. Despite war damage, several have remained.
The northern section of the two-mile £19m A47 Great Yarmouth Western Bypass opened in March 1986, and the southern section opened in May 1985. It is now the A12.
The town was badly affected by the North Sea flood of 1953 and many areas were under large amounts of water.
More recently flooding has been a major porblem for the town and it flooded 4 times in 2006. In September 2006 the town suffered some of its worst flooding in years, torrential rain caused drains to become blocked as well as an Anglian Water pumping station to break down and this resulted in flash flooding around the town in which over 90 properties were flooded with up to 5ft of water.On 9 November 2007 the town braced itself for more flooding as a result of a tidal surge and high tides but disaster was narrowly avoided and only a small area of the town was under water.
The Tollhouse, complete with dungeons, dates from the late 13th century and is said to be the oldest civic building in Britain. It backs onto the town's central library which was recently renovated.
The Market place is one of the largest in England, and has been operating since the 13th century. It is also home to the town's shopping sector and the famous Yarmouth chip stalls. The smaller area south of the market has a big screen which is used for showing GYTV and access to the town's shopping centre, Market Gates.
Great Yarmouth railway station, which serves the town, is the terminus of the Wherry Lines from Norwich. Before the Beeching Axe the town had a number of stations and a direct link to London down the east coast. The only remaining signs of these stations is the coach park where Beach Station once was and the A12 relief road which follows the route of the railway down into the embankment from Breydon Bridge.
Britannia PierYarmouth has two piers, Britannia Pier and Wellington Pier. The latter of the two was demolished in 2005 and is currently being rebuilt as a family entertainment centre. Britannia Pier is home to the Britannia Theatre and a fair at the end of the pier.
The Grade 1 listed Winter Gardens building sits next to the Wellington Pier. The cast iron framed glass structure was shipped by barge from Torquay in 1903. It is said this was done without the loss of a single pane of glass. Over the years, it has been used as ballroom, roller skating rink and beer garden. In the 1990s it was converted into a nightclub by comedian Jim Davidson. Today, Winter Gardens is under use as a family leisure venue, although its future is under threat due to the repair costs of the ageing framework. During the winter of 2005 there were worries of the collapse of the building and during high winds it was often closed.
The South Denes area is home to the Grade I listed Norfolk Naval Pillar, known locally as Nelson's Monument or Nelson's Column. This tribute to Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson was completed in 1819, 24 years before the completion of Nelson's Column in London.
The monument, designed by William Wilkins, shows Britannia standing atop a globe holding an olive branch in her right hand and a trident in her left.There is a popular assumption in the town that the statue of Britannia was supposed to face out to sea but now faces inland due to a mistake during construction, although it is thought she is meant to face Nelson's birthplace at Burnham Thorpe.